Sunday, September 11, 2011

For When I Am Weak, Then Am I Strong


One of my roommates gave a really good lesson today in Sunday School.  I thought I'd just share the scripture and a thought because it impacted me, possibly because of certain situations.

2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 
         9  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
        10  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

It's the trials and hard times in our lives that help us to grow and to progress.  If we don't fight against it, whine, complain, and ask why?, but embrace those times as learning moments, then we are truly progressing.  Lately I've noticed that when I do those things, that life is hard and I feel bad for myself.  But when i realize that its for my good in one way or another, that is when life becomes more meaningful.  This is how we become closer to our Savior, to feel of His love, and to be His disciples.  I still have a lot to learn when it comes to this, but I know that through the power of Christ, that my weaknesses may become strong.  I will now and continue to glory in my infirmities, thrive during times of trial, and thank the Lord for His goodness.  This just sorta hit home today.

This also goes well with one of my favorite scriptures while I was on my mission.  Everyone knows it, but it had a special meaning for me during those two years and still today. 

Ether 12:27
       27  And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.




A wise friend relayed a quote to me - "Pray not to calm the waters, rather pray to strengthen the boat"



A couple of quotes from my New Testament class that I liked..


Look at the Stars

I decry the great waste of time that people put into watching inane television.  I am not anti-sports.  I enjoy watching a good football game or a good basketball game.  But I see so many men who become absolutely obsessed with sports.  I believe their lives would be enriched if, instead of sitting on the sofa and watching a game that will be forgotten tomorrow, they would read and think and ponder.
They would be blessed if they were to go out into the dark of night, look at the stars, and ponder their place in the eternal plan of the Almighty.
President Gordon B. Hinckley





No comments:

Post a Comment